Terms of Business
This page sets out my terms of business, so that you know what to expect if you hire me.
- I need to have all the information you already possess before research begins.
- Please share everything you know at this stage, as I don't want to waste your money going over old ground.
- I will draw up a research agreement, setting out the research objectives and the budget for work and expenses
- It will be emailed for your approval and electronic signature, using Adobe Sign.
- Work will start once the agreement has been signed.
- It is impossible to predict whether research will produce the desired results.
- Because I put in the work, I have to charge for the time spent, even if I draw a blank.
- Research may reveal unexpected and potentially upsetting information about your ancestors.
- Many families have a skeleton in their closet and I have blogged about my own black sheep.
- DNA testing may uncover family secrets in recent generations.
- Professional ethics require me to report such information if I find it.
- Before commissioning research, please consider these issues carefully.
- Under English law, copyright in my research report belongs to me.
- I am happy for clients to share my work privately with family and friends.
- Please seek my agreement if you want to publish what I have written in any form, including online.
- My preferred method of payment is by direct bank transfer, using the bank details on my invoice.
- Clients outside the UK can pay in their own currency using TransferWise or PayPal.
- All currency exchange fees must be paid by the client.
- I am registered with the Information Commissioner's Office under the Data Protection Act, registration reference Z3618532.